Jay Goldstein has practiced law since 1992 in Olympia. His practice emphasizes “dirt law,” otherwise known as construction, land use, and real property law. Jay also practices administrative and business law. During law school, Jay clerked for the Environmental Hearings Office, which includes the Pollution Control, Shorelines, Hydraulics and Forest Practices Appeals Boards.
Prior to law, Jay served as Director of Communications for the Washington Forest Protection Association, an industry trade association in Olympia. He developed and implemented public affairs management programs for private timber landowners in Washington, developed strategic policies, and managed political issues at federal, state, and local levels. His scope of issues included land use planning, forest management, and complex negotiations with regulatory agencies, environmental groups, and Indian tribes.
Jay began his career as a land use planner for the Regional Planning Commission in New Orleans, his home town. He has been active in civic, business, bar, land use, and arts organizations.
Jay’s civic and professional activities include
- Washington State Bar Association, Editorial Advisory Board, 1994-1996;
- Washington State Bar Association, Legislative Committee, 1997;
- Thurston County Bar Association, Board Member, 1996-1997;
- Olympia/Thurston Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, 1993-1995;
- Harlequin Productions (non profit theater), Board of Directors, 1993-2003 (President 1995-2003);
- Commercial Development Regulations Task Force, City of Olympia, 1994;
- Chair, Washington Real Property Law, Continuing Legal Education,
- Thurston County Young Lawyers, 1993;
- Moderator, Regulation and Private Property Rights, Annual Conference, Planning Association of Washington, 1993;
- Instructor, Real Property Law, South Puget Sound Community College, 1995;
- Olympia Toastmasters, Member, 1984-1985.
Jay has published articles in the Washington State Bar Association Bar News, Journal of Foresty, Daily Olympian, South Sound Business Examiner, and Chalkline (Olympia Master Builders).
- Dickgieser v. State, 153 Wa. 2d 530, 105 P .3d 26 (2005)
- Ervin v. Muller, 117 Wash.App 1085, Not Reported in P.3d (2003)
- Friend v. Friend, 92 Wa.App. 799, 964 P .2d 1219, rev. denied 137 Wa. 2d 1030, 980 P .2d 1283 (1999)
- Genotti v. Mason County, SHB No. 99-011 (1999)
- Viafore v. Mason County, SHB No. 99-033 (2000)
- JD, Univ. of Puget Sound (now Seattle University.), School of Law, 1991
- MA, Comparative Literature, Univ. Oregon, 1977
- BA, History, Univ. Texas, 1973